How do I set up a HMRC Government Gateway Account
Step by Step Instructions to create your Government Gateway Account
If you’re in the UK and are either self-employed, tax resident, non resident VAT registration, running a business or have to do anything to do with taxes, revenue, or benefit claims, chances are you will need a Government Gateway account. HMRC gateway login ID is an IT system that makes all of this information easily accessible and amendable online.
To get started, you will need to create a HMRC gateway login UK . Once you have created your HMRC gateway login online, you will also be issued a Government Gateway user ID and password. This ID can be used to log in to the HMRC online portal.
Instructions on how to create government gateway account
- Go to HMRC gateway login page.
- Click the GREEN sign in button.
- Click Create HMRC gateway login details
- Enter your email address where asked.
- You will now be emailed a confirmation code. Use this code to confirm your email address.
- Enter your full name
- Create a password
- You will next be required to set up a recovery word in case you forget your password
- HMRC will then provide you with a Government Gateway ID – this is 12 characters long.
- You will then be requested to choose which type of account you need, select the relevant type from the list
Complete the details requested by HMRC for the type of account you select.
Please save this and keep it somewhere safe because if you lose it can create a lot of work in the future!
IMPORTANT: The User ID is sometimes confused for your UTR (personal tax ID number), to know what your UTR number is, click here.
Generally, you would register for a Government Gateway Account if you have one of the following requirements:
- You need a personal tax account
- You need to send a Self Assessment tax return (this could be to report rental, investment, or other self-employment income)
- have set up a limited company, or another organisation that needs to pay taxes
Some other reasons why you might need an HMRC Government Gateway account are if:
- you want to operate PAYE – this happens when you start to employ people and have them on your payroll
- you want to charge VAT – this happens when your taxable turnover exceeds £85,000
Feeling overwhelmed? Why not contact us today on [email protected]com and we can complete your tax return for you, it’s cheaper than you think – FZCO Accountants