How to claim tax relief for your job in the UK

You may be eligible to claim tax relief on certain job-related expenses. The UK government introduced temporary tax relief measures to assist those working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. Keep in mind that tax regulations can change, so it’s essential to check the latest guidance on the HMRC website or consult with a tax professional for the most current information.

What tax reliefs are available for work expenses in the UK

Flat-Rate Expenses

Certain professions and industries have flat-rate expense allowances set by HMRC. These allowances represent the average costs associated with specific types of work, and individuals can claim them without providing detailed receipts. Examples include uniform maintenance allowances for certain professions.

Work-From-Home Expenses

As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, individuals who work from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic can claim a flat-rate allowance of £6 per week (equivalent to £26 per month) for additional costs such as heating, electricity, and internet. Check the latest guidance from HMRC for any changes or extensions to this relief.

Vehicle Expenses

If you use your own vehicle for work-related travel, you may be eligible to claim tax relief on mileage expenses. This can be done using the approved mileage rates set by HMRC. Alternatively, you may claim relief on actual vehicle expenses, such as fuel and maintenance, incurred for work purposes.

Professional Fees and Subscriptions

Individuals who are members of professional bodies or subscribe to trade journals related to their work may be eligible to claim tax relief on associated membership fees and subscriptions.

Tools and Equipment

If you are required to provide your own tools or equipment for work, you may be able to claim tax relief on the costs incurred. This can include items such as tools, protective clothing, and other necessary work-related equipment.

Training and Courses

Costs associated with work-related training and courses may be eligible for tax relief. This includes tuition fees, travel expenses, and other related costs.

Travel Expenses

Employees who need to travel for work may be eligible to claim tax relief on certain travel expenses. This can include public transportation costs, mileage, and accommodation expenses incurred for business travel.

Pensions and Contributions

Contributions to a workplace pension scheme or certain personal pension schemes may be eligible for tax relief. This can include both employer and employee contributions.

Other Allowances

Depending on your specific circumstances and profession, there may be other allowances and reliefs available. It’s essential to review the HMRC guidelines and seek professional advice to ensure you are aware of all potential reliefs applicable to your situation.

Hire Tax Advisor

We Work with a UK and EU based accountant for VAT, tax, accounting, payroll and corporation tax needs.

Have a question? 

Email us

[email protected]

How to claim tax relief? 

Identify Eligible Expenses

Determine which expenses are eligible for tax relief based on your circumstances. This could include work-related expenses, business expenses, charitable donations, or other qualifying expenditures.

Check Eligibility Criteria

Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria for the specific tax relief you are claiming. Different reliefs have different requirements, and it’s important to understand and fulfill them.

Online HMRC Tool or Form P87

Use the HMRC online tool or Form P87 to claim the work-from-home expenses. The online tool may provide a simplified process, or you can manually complete Form P87 and submit it to HMRC.

  • Online HMRC Tool: Visit the HMRC website and follow the instructions provided by the online tool. It may guide you through the process of claiming work-from-home expenses.
  • Form P87: Download Form P87 from the HMRC website, fill in the necessary details, and submit it either online or by mail.

Submit Claim within Time Limits

Ensure that you submit your claim within the specified time limits. In general, you should claim tax relief within four years of the end of the tax year to which the claim relates.

Wait for HMRC’s Response

After submitting your claim, HMRC will review the information provided. If further clarification or documentation is required, they may contact you. Once the review is complete, HMRC will inform you of their decision.

Receive Refund or Adjustment

If your claim is approved, you may receive a tax refund or an adjustment to your tax code, depending on the nature of the relief. The method of reimbursement varies based on the specific circumstances of your claim.

Four-Year Claim Period

Ensure that you claim work-from-home expenses within four years of the end of the tax year for which you’re making the claim.

Review and Confirmation

HMRC will review your claim and notify you of their decision. If approved, any tax relief may be provided through a refund or an adjustment to your tax code.

If you are unsure about the eligibility of certain expenses or need assistance with the process, consider seeking advice from a tax professional. They can provide guidance tailored to your situation and ensure that you are maximizing your eligible tax reliefs.