Postpone the payment of import VAT in Belgium
In Belgium, businesses can benefit from two different mechanisms to defer or postpone the payment of import VAT:
- Import VAT Deferral: This mechanism allows eligible businesses to defer the payment of import VAT at the time of customs clearance. Instead of paying the import VAT upfront, businesses can defer the payment until a later date (usually the 15th day of the month following the month of import). This mechanism requires prior approval and is subject to certain conditions, such as having a good track record of tax compliance and providing a guarantee to the Belgian tax authorities.
- Postponed Import VAT: This mechanism allows businesses to postpone the payment of import VAT by declaring the VAT due in their periodic VAT returns, instead of paying it at the time of customs clearance. This mechanism is available to all VAT-registered businesses in Belgium and applies to imports from both EU and non-EU countries.
To benefit from the postponed import VAT mechanism in Belgium, businesses must meet the following requirements:
- Be VAT registered in Belgium.
- Declare the import VAT in their periodic VAT return.
- Have a valid EORI number.
- Keep proper records of their imports and VAT declarations.
- Comply with all other VAT obligations.